Carrot Cake Muffins
Who doesn’t love carrot cake for a springtime treat? Wouldn’t it make a great Easter morning brunch muffin? I think so. Unfortunately, I cannot eat overly sweet muffins so early in the day. To remedy this, I created this healthy yet so very much carrot cake yummy muffin. Top it with cream cheese sweetened with maple syrup and you will have best of both worlds!
Whole wheat flour with flaxseed meal makes a great alternative for white all-purpose flour. The flaxseed meal packs an omega 3 punch and extra fiber. A smaller amount of coconut sugar also creates an alternative to white granulated sugar. The applesauce makes up for less sugar and adds extra moisture. Finally, coconut oil is a much healthier alternative to butter. If you want to go for a cream cheese topping, skip the unhealthy additive-laden commercial cream cheese for a vegan cream cheese.
Scroll to the bottom to print the recipe.
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup flaxseed meal
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup coconut sugar
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
½ cup applesauce
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup coconut oil melted
⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup finely shredded carrots (about 2 to 3 carrots)
Cream Cheese Topping (optional)
1 cup cream cheese (preferably Miyoko’s vegan cream cheese)
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with paper or silicone cups.
2. In a large bowl whip the whole wheat flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda, coconut sugar, and salt together. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl combine the eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and coconut oil. Fold in the shredded coconut and carrots. Whip into the dry ingredients. Fold in the coconut and carrots.
4. Fill the lined muffin tins with the batter evenly. Place in the oven on a center rack and bake for twenty to twenty-five minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
5. Cool in the muffin tins for five minutes. Remove from pan(s) to a cooling rack until cool or serve warm.
6. If topping: Whip the cream cheese and maple syrup together. Spread on the tops of the totally cooled muffins.