Zucchini and Chickpea Fritters with Cherry Tomato Relish
Greek zucchini fritters are called Kolokythokeftedes, quite the mouth full, so to speak. They are generally served as small appetizer-size flat, fried patties and served with a yogurt cucumber dip call Tzatziki. Consider though, adding garbanzo beans and serving them with a cherry tomato relish.
In this recipe to increase the protein, chopped garbanzo beans are added and they are dredged in garbanzo bean flour before frying in olive oil. Fresh dill and cumin add a zing to their flavor and the tomato relish adds a colorful and lighter presentation. The fritters can be made into large patties and served as a vegetarian entrée. They can be fried and refrigerated overnight, then reheated and served the next day to make this an easy party dish. The tomato relish however should be made just before serving.
24 appetizer servings or 8 large patties
1 pound zucchini, trimmed, grated
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup garbanzo beans, finely chopped
2 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
¾ cup fresh whole grain breadcrumbs, or more (ground in a mini food processor)
garbanzo bean flour for dredging
olive oil for frying
Cherry Tomato Relish
2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered or smaller
¼ cup red onion, minced
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a colander toss the zucchini with salt. Leave to drain, squeezing the zucchini from time to time to remove the liquid. Squeeze as much of the remaining moisture as possible hand by hand full or in a clean dish towel.
2. In a mixing bowl combine the garbanzo beans, egg, parsley, dill, cumin, and breadcrumbs. Scoop it up into a tablespoon size patty. If it seems too moist, add more breadcrumbs. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for a half-hour.
3. In the meantime, mix the tomatoes, red onion, vinegar, dill, and salt together. Reserve at room temperature.
4. Form one-tablespoon zucchini, garbanzo bean mixture into appetizer-size patties. Or for large entrée-size patties divide into eight patties.
5. Heat a quarter-inch of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet until it shimmers.
6. Dredge the patties in the garbanzo bean flour. Fry on each side until golden brown. Drain briefly on paper towels. Serve with the cherry tomato relish.
*May be made a day ahead and reheated to serve.