Beet and Micro Green Salad with Tangerine and Pomegranate Vinaigrette
This salad is so simple to make and yet the visual and flavor components pop as though a master chef had prepared this for you in a five-star*****restaurant. No need to tell your friends that you are that master chef unless of course, you dream of all the adoration!
To make this even more enticing, it may all be prepared a day in advance and put together at the last minute. There is one trick that must be followed to prevent the beets from bleeding into one another and that is to blot each slice on a paper towel before placing on the plate. It could be presented on a buffet platter but why not place on individual plates for that glamour appeal?
8 side salads
1 ½ teaspoons pomegranate molasses
1 ½ teaspoons shallot, minced
1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons tangerine juice
½ teaspoon tangerine zest
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt or more
4 red beets
4 golden beets
1 cup loosely packed micro greens
½ cup pomegranate seeds
1. Whisk the pomegranate molasses, shallot, and vinegar together. Slowly whisk in the tangerine juice, zest, and olive oil. Season with salt to taste. Allow macerating for at least an hour up to three days in advance. Place in a small jar with tight-fitting lid and refrigerate.
2. Do NOT peel or cut the beets until cooked. In two pots cook the red and golden beets separately covered by an inch of water until tender about an hour depending on their size.
3. Drain the beets. Under cool running water slip the skins off each beet. It is best to wear disposable gloves so as not to stain your hands red. Refrigerate the beets separately.
4. Thinly slice the beets. Blot each slice on a paper towel. Arrange on chilled plates alternating five slices each of each colored beet in a circle.
5. Shake the vinaigrette to emulsify. Toss the micro greens with a small amount of the vinaigrette. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the beets. Top with the micro greens in the center. Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds over all. Serve chilled. Stand back and smile!