Pumpkin, Cranberry, and Nut Muffins
What could be tastier than breakfast muffins for the holidays? Better yet make the batter the night before and just pop them into muffin tins and then the oven while preparing all the other festive dishes. Warm, spicy, cheerfully yummy way to start the day.
Even better these muffins are packed with nutritious ingredients that will start your day right. In place of the all-purpose flour protein-rich almond flour is used along with omega three flaxseed meal. Honey and nutrient-dense molasses replace brown sugar. Nuts, fruit, and pumpkin complete the wholesome nourishing breakfast. There are quick and easy pumpkin bread mixes on the market, but they have additives that negate a healthy start. Just think on Thanksgiving morning have pumpkin muffins as a preview for the grand finale of pumpkin pie later in the day!
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup almond flour
½ cup flaxseed meal
1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½ cup honey or maple syrup
1 can 15-ounce pure pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon molasses
¼ cup buttermilk
6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter or coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fruit and nuts
¾ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup walnuts and/or pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line fourteen muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, whip the eggs, honey, pumpkin, and molasses together. Whip in the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir and fold the two together until just incorporated. Do not over mix. At this point the mixture can be refrigerated overnight by pressing waxed paper on top to seal off from the air.
5. Gently fold in the dried cranberries and nuts.
6. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins.
7. Bake for about twenty-eight to thirty minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the muffin tins for five minutes before removing from the tins and serving.