Apple Dutch Baby with Strawberries and Yogurt
This is a northwest favorite brunch dish. Normally it is served quite simply dusted with powdered sugar and served with a lemon wedge. Adding the strawberries and yogurt creates a filling main dish. It is important to only use organic fresh strawberries as regular strawberries are heavily treated with pesticides that are unhealthy. But then whenever possible I always choose organic products like butter, flour, sugar, apples, eggs, milk and yogurt!
4 tablespoons butter
1 Gala or Pink Lady apple, peeled, cored and sliced into 8 wedges
3 large eggs
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated cane sugar
½ cup whole milk
1 pint organic fresh organic strawberries
1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
optional: maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 425⁰F.
- Place a ten inch cast iron pan with the butter into the oven. Watch closely so the butter does not brown. When melted add the apple wedges and bake for about two minutes, turn the apples over and bake for another two minutes until softened.
- Mix the eggs, flour, sugar and milk together in a blender. Pour into the pan with the apple slices.
- Bake for seven minutes and then rotate the pan a half turn. Continue baking. Total baking time will be about fifteen to twenty minutes until puffed brown around the edges but custard-like in the center.
- Cut into four wedges and serve immediately with the strawberries and yogurt. Drizzle maple syrup over the top if desired.