Lemon and Cumin Scented Blue Corn Bread
Ever want to spice up your corn bread? Well this nicely scented corn bread will pair well with your favorite bean soup or chili. It is also a great accompaniment to the Roasted Achiote Turkey Tenderloin (page 69) on a bed of Black Bean Salsa (page 2) in Sharing the Table cookbook.
6 servings (12 small muffins or 1-8”x8”x2” pan)
1 cup organic blue corn meal (I use Arrowhead Mills Organic Blue Corn Meal)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ cup granulated cane sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup whole milk
¼ cup lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoon lemon zest (about 1 ½ small lemon)
1. Preheat oven to 375⁰F. Oil an 8”x8”x2” glass baking pan or place twelve muffin papers in a muffin tin pan and lightly spray with oil.
2. Combine the corn meal with the olive oil in a bowl.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cumin and sugar. Add to the corn meal mixture.
4. Stir in the egg, milk, lemon juice and zest. Mix well with no lumps remaining. Pour into the baking pan or portion into the muffin papers.
5. Bake for twenty-five to thirty-five minutes. Serve warm or cool.